A grill is the perfect outdoor accessory during the spring and summer months. Now that the weather is pleasant outside, you can bust out your grill and make something delicious for everyone to enjoy. During these warmer months, you can cook a variety of food from juicy sizzling meats to crispy and flaky pizza, and everything in between. Although, where there is fire, there can be some danger. Help avoid an accident by staying cautious and prepared. Check out these safety tips for grilling from Smoked BBQ Source to get ready for the season ahead.
Don’t Let History Repeat Itself
Did you know that around 70% of homes in the United States own at least one outdoor BBQ, grill, or smoker? That is a lot of people who need to know safety rules when it comes to grilling! The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) reported that an average of 19,000 patients a year get treated at the hospital from grill-based injuries. 9,300 of those were from thermal burns. They also reported that gas and charcoal grills caused approximately 4,200 house fires and 5,600 external fires a year. Gas grills are responsible for more fires than charcoal grills, but they can both be dangerous if not operated properly.
Rules to Live By
Keep these safety tips in mind to stay safe during grilling season:
- Propane and charcoal grills are for outdoor use only
- Leave room around your grill so there is plenty of space
- Make sure your grill is set up on a stable and flat surface
- Don’t let your children or pets too close to the grill
- Keep your grill nice and clean
- Don’t leave your grill unattended
- When you start your gas grill, leave the lid open
- It is best to light charcoal in a charcoal chimney
- Don’t apply lighter fluid to hot coals
- Shut down properly when finished
- Keep an extinguisher around to put out a fire if one arises
- Keep an eye on your grill for possible flare-ups
You might also like: Mix Up Taco Night With This Taco Lasagna
Make sure you follow these grilling safety tips, and you should have no problems. It may be a good idea to search around for some videos just to practice. When you feel confident, bring out the grill and get ready for a delicious season for everyone in your family to enjoy!
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.